Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Highlights and Lowlights of Snow Leopard

I've had a few days to play around with Snow Leopard now, so I thought I'd just note a few of my favorite bits and a few nits I'd like to pick. The Good:
  • Four finger gesture support on my early 2008 MBP. I love this, and find myself already using it all the time for running Expose.
  • Improved services and creating services with Automator. About 20 minutes after I had Snow Leopard installed, I had an Automator workflow added to the services menu to open the selected file or folder in Emacs (still haven't finished debugging the --daemon mode on OS X yet though).
  • Hiding applications to their app icon, rather than a separate slot in the Dock. It used to drive me a bit crazy that when I clicked a doc icon for a hidden app, the app itself wouldn't pop back into view, and instead I'd have to find the minimized window. No more.
  • Dock Expose. I also find myself using this quite often to select a given window of an app.
The Bad:
  • Doesn't boot 64 bit by default. Wasn't this supposed to be one of the big selling points of Snow Leopard? Why do I have to hold magic keys during boot or update a plist to get this enabled?
  • Once I've booted into a 64 bit kernel, I'm having issues with both VMWare Fusion and VirtualBox. Fusion simply refused to start. VirtualBox attempted to start, but caused a kernel panic.

No comments: