Saturday, December 15, 2007

Introduction

The obligatory introductory post. Sputtering Digitized is simply a place for me to capture my own musings on programming. I'm interested in quite a few different topics, from programming languages (Java, C, C++, Objective-C, C#, Erlang, Smalltalk, Lisp, Ruby, etc), to programming environments (Eclipse, NetBeans, Visual Studio, Emacs, Vi) to operating systems (Linux, OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, Windows). Currently, my hobby time is being focused on OpenSolaris, Erlang, JEE 5 and NetBeans. These interests are all stemming around an annual trivia contest that I've been part of for a number of years. I inherited some software for our trivia team, and have been maintaining it for a number of years. I generally use it as an excuse to try building a full solution in different environments. The system started out as a C# app connecting to a MySQL database with a PHP front end. I later ported it to a C# app connecting to web services run by Ruby on Rails with a PostgreSQL database as the backend. This year, I'm attempting to port the whole system to a full JEE stack, with a Swing and JSF front-ends, and EJB/JMS for the backend (though still connecting to my PostgreSQL database).

No comments: